I follow them & I think you should too

this is me...then
urban enigma
money hoes and clothes
los tha scholar
joshua arts
oddisee music
sneak peek
the real kesh
john forte
black snob
juju mama
blak hand side
bourgie adventures
divine rae
the boobs
the cynicalones
new money machinko
leet money
2 dope boyz
flipelican
sister toldja
neglected sound
dope lyrics
awesome 4 sale
afro fantasy
fracturedminds
until i get married
closing in
the lauren show
(not)happy about this



Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Blogs By Black Women
Powered By Ringsurf


Black & Single in The City

I pimp the truth, that's the only method

Saturday, September 19

my impurities and securities, it`s God just perfecting me

I going to have be 100 with you all on this one. This is one the hardest, and most personal topics for me to write about. But write about it, I must. This is my avenue of sanctity, writing. You all just happen to be along for the ride. Before I get into what has actually brought me out of bed on this early Saturday morning, let me give you a little back story.

Growing up I was the "pretty" one. Not my doing, but I wholeheartedly accepted it and took on this notion as my sole identity. I was the one from the fairly well-off home, with the 2 cars, parents-one a dentist one a fire chief, I took ballet, I took piano, I took tennis, I was fair complected, with long hair, tiny with a dancer's body, and long straight hair. So basically I had been conditioned on some talented tenth brown paper bag type mentality. But the thing that had always stuck with my identity the most was the notion that I was pretty, I was beautiful, because I had that long straight hair, I was a certain size and had a certain shape.

Now having this sort of identity formation has pretty much jacked up my mind, and self-confidence for the majority of my young life. I always strived to stay small since my self worth was tied to idea. Throughout my life, I always felt that I just wasn't pretty enough because I had it in my head that I had to look a certain way, had to weigh a certain amount, be a certain size. Basically my conditioning had been condition. Well fast-forward to my 20s. Life, no The Almighty, can give you a wake call. I was no longer the lil young girl who could eat whatever and too I was no longer as physically active as I was in my youth. So with age, change in life style, lets just say, I no longer had that dancer's body I had growing up. And you know what this did for, made me re-evaluate myself. I had to come face-to-face and own up to the beliefs that I held to be true. I had to redefine what beauty meant for me, what it is to be a woman, and what being a person of color meant to me. I found that I had to deprogram my entire mentality.

As I am leaving my 20s and knocking on the door, and fully embracing my 30s, I still find myself to me pretty, no I find myself to be beautiful. But I no longer have the long straight hair or the dancer's body that gave me soo much false confidence throughout my life. I have the nappiest and most beautiful hair and I am currently wearing it in locs. I am a full-figured curvaceous shapely woman and I fully embrace all of my curves. What I am now on is the quest is to be a healthier me. I must correct the poor eating habits I have had and those of my community(which will be addressed in a future entry), become more physically active, and strengthen my spiritual self. The road to my new self identity has been difficult. I have encountered far too many painful experiences that wish to threw me into an abyss of despair (most painful were the failed relationships that once I "step out of line", the guy wished to throw an onslaught of self hatred my way which usually included a "fat bitch" thrown in for good measure). Alas I will not be deterred by spiteful individuals on my quest of becoming a stronger, wiser, healthier and more enlightened person. And I also don't wish to ever be tiny again. I want to be healthy in whatever form The Almighty has programmed my body to have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home